Thursday, August 14, 2014

Maddie and Luke... The Story Must Go On!!!

Okay, I have had so many emails come in about wanting to read more... I thought... why not! So here is some more. This is getting to a point of craziness because I have yet to fully proofread and edit the rest of this book. So far, you all have been so helpful with advice and tips and I absolutely love the compliments that I am getting. It is kind words like that, that makes me strive to keep going with my writing. I even love the few negative comments I have received because it teaches me... I am in the frame of mind that I am changing the title of this book now... I want something that fits better so for now, I am going to keep posting this clips under different titles. Any suggestions on a title???? Oh, and if you catch my mixing up the name Luke with Henry it is because I did a last minute name change... point this out if you would like.
And the story continues...
 
A month had passed since, what had become known as, the Bean’s Station battle had occurred. It was a decided victory for the Confederacy but did little good in the whole. The dead had been buried including Maddie’s brother Elliott. The wounded had been tended to and most had left. Of the three men and one woman that Maddie had kept in the hunting cabin only two had survived. One of the men whose name was Jack had left two weeks after that night. It took Maddie and her mother a lot to get him back to good health but his mind was not right anymore. He was discharged and sent home. Luke, was the other man to survive, but he kept a pretty bad limp and his wounds were still healing. They had moved him back to their farm and set him up in the barn. He had also been discharged and was waiting to heal a little more before he returned home.

Over the course of that month, Luke and Maddie had grown to be close friends. Maddie read aloud to him and they talked for hours while Henry was bed ridden. He told her stories of the war and his life before. She shared stories from her childhood with him. They had come to realize that they had much in common. He was 25 and she was only 19 but still it was as if they had the same mind. Then when he was able to get up and about with a crutch he helped her with her chores.  He was now using a cane to get around and Maddie knew the time was near when he would be leaving. She would miss her new friend a lot. It did not hurt that Luke was a handsome man either. She had only began to notice that fact; still, she tried to push that thought away as she had no time for such silly and idol thoughts. Try as she may, however, she could not help but remind herself that she had permanently etched every detail of his appearance in her brain. He had dark brown hair and crystal clear blue eyes. He had a lazy smile, and if she had to pick her favorite thing about him, that was it. It was perfect. When he had his shirt off it would make Maddie loose her breath for a spell. It was a good thing that she only caught that a few times since he had been there.

One day the two decided to go hunting. When they reached one of Maddie’s favorite spots they settled in for the duration and all was silent for a while. Maddie was bundled up well but could not help the shivers from coming. Luke reached over and pulled her closer to him.

Whispering as low as he could Luke said, “If we huddle we will stay a bit warmer.”

“I am not sure anything will make it warmer out here.” She replied trying to keep her distance. “It is freezing.”

He did not give her time to argue, just continued pulling her closer to him until he had her just where he wanted her. Silence came once again as Maddie soaked up the heat coming from his body. She could feel each time he took a breath and every muscle in his chest and arms. She took a deep breath in so she could drill his smell into her memory. She knew her time with him was almost up. She was falling in love with this man and her heart broke every time the thought of him leaving crossed her mind. He held her tight and she was in heaven. She was not at all concerned with watching for a deer as she was consumed with everything Luke and could not resist the temptation to rest her head on his chest for just a second and could not resist counting the beats of his heart. She closed her eyes and stayed like that until she noticed the sound speeding up. She thought he had spotted something and was getting excited so she sat up and looked around but saw nothing. She looked back at Luke and he was staring at her.

“What is it?” She was starting to worry now that something was wrong. The look on his face scared her.

“Maddie, I have to leave tomorrow.”

“Why so soon? You’re still healing.”

“I have to go now or I will never leave.”

“Why?” Now her heart was racing. She did not want him to leave so why did he think it so bad to never leave?

“I fear I am falling in love you with Maddie and I know I am not right for you. I have nothing to offer you.”

She wanted to jump up and scream her joy to the world when he said this. She did not care that he had nothing to offer her, she loved him too and they could be happy here. She needed to tell him this. She needed to make him stay. She tried to speak but the words did not come out. He was starting to get up and before she could think about her actions she grabbed the collar of his jacket and pulled him to her. She kissed his lips softly and slowly. He did not kiss her back. She pulled away and looked into his eyes. She seen the fear in them. She felt her own fear but pushed it back.

“Luke, I am in love with you too. I do not want you to leave me. Please stay here with me or take me with you.”

“I cannot take you from your mother. She needs you and you know that.”

“Then stay here with me. Please Luke, do not leave me. Do not break my heart.”

He said nothing. He pulled her to him and hugged her tight. She held onto him for dear life. She thought if she let him go he would leave her right then and there.

“Maddie, I cannot do this.”


© [Desirae DeVon Bennett] and [Entertaining Thoughts and Ideas], [2013-2014]. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to [Desirae DeVon Bennett] and [Entertaining Thoughts and Ideas] with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment