Monday, August 11, 2014

Maddie and Luke... The Story Continues

So I am posting my last little bit from my book. I am considering turning this into a short story... tell me what you all think about that idea. Oh yeah, for all you history buffs out there, let me know if any of this sounds familiar. I have a feeling that if you all know much about the civil war then you will be able to point out some facts from fiction!!!

Maddie drug Luke and three other men that she found alive but seriously wounded into the cabin. She knew she it was safe to light a fire and the candles because just before she came looking for Elliot she had heard that General Longstreet had gone to finish the fight that morning but decided it better to retreat and headed on to Russellville that afternoon. The battle was over and now it was just a matter of picking up the pieces afterwards. One long day and night of gun fire and dead bodies had taken its toll on the town. The tavern had taken most of the damage and there were many Union men lying dead on the tavern floor. Still, there were so many wounded men left in the care of the women of the town like Maddie and her mother.
She settled the three men on makeshift beds made of the few blankets left in the cabin on the floor by the fireplace. Then she set to task on building a fire and lighting the candles. She went straight to the place where she kept the matches and lit the only two candles in the small one room cabin. Then she built a big fire in the hearth with the remaining wood she had stored for the year. She sat there by the fire with her arms stretched towards its warmth in an attempt to regain the feeling in her hands. She would be of no use to these men she had brought in if she could not use her hands correctly. A few minutes passed and at last she started to feel human again as her fingers and feet soaked up the warmth. She turned and looked at the four men lying on the floor and wondered what she was supposed to do with them. She noticed the older of the four had blood coming from his stomach. The one lying beside him had a head wound. There was one man who looked as young as her brother Elliot and he seemed to be the one in the worst condition. He was trembling all over and was covered in blood from his face down to his feet. She realized he was missing one of his boots. Then there was Luke. He seemed fine, all but his leg. He had no use of his right leg at all. She tried to see if there was blood anywhere on him but all she could find was the blood stain her brother had left on his lap. She hatched a plan right then. First she would tend to the worst of the three and then move on to the next in order of severity. When she had them stable or did as much as she could she would go back to town and get help. She fretted having to see her mother and tell her the news of Elliot but she had to do it.
She set to work on the youngest man first. She found that he had been shot several times. She had nothing to pull the bullets from the wounds so she decided to wrap them up and try to stop the bleeding as best as she could. She lifted the shirt from the boy to get a better look at the wounds on his chest and was shocked at what she found. This was no boy or man. This was a woman. She had wrapped her breasts up tight and disguised herself as a man. Maddie had thought about doing the same thing when talk of war started but her mother needed her here at home. So she had stayed. Now she was thanking her lucky stars for that decision. This lady had six bullets in her stomach and chest and Maddie knew that she was not going to make it.
 She leaned down close to the girls’ ear and whispered, “I know you are a woman and I will keep your secret. I would like to know your name, your real name, so if something were to happen I can get you home.”
“Laura Stoker,” was all the girl could manage to say before blood starting coming from her mouth.
Maddie whispered a prayer in the girls ear, covered and tucked her in with the warmest blanket she had left and moved on.
 Maddie moved fast from one to the other. All the men were half conscience and the only thing that came from their mouth while she was working on them was groans and mumbles that she could not catch. She talked non-stop about random things besides the war. She introduced herself and began telling stories that her father had told her. Then she told them about the cabin they were in and stories of her, her father, and her brother, hunting here. She told them about her last kill, a massive buck. She was very proud of that kill because she had finally outdone her brother. She pointed to the wall closest to the door to the cabin and said, “See there are the antlers. My Brother said it would be good luck to keep them and so we did.” Of course, none of the men looked in the direction of the antlers or gave any indication that they were even listening to her at all. Nonetheless, she continued with her ramblings. When she was finished with the three men that were in much worse shape than she had thought to begin with she moved on to Luke. She looked at him and he gave her a little smile.
“You talk a lot,” he said through his smile but Maddie could hear the pain and weakness in his voice.
“I normally do not but I feel like you four men deserve a bit of normal conversation after such an experience. I would think that if I was lying here like all of you, I would enjoy having someone talk to me. If I am bothering you I can stop though.”
“You are not bothering me at all. I do like it.”
“I am going to wrap your leg as best as I can; just as I did with the other three men and then I am going to go for help. I haven’t got the right stuff to tend to these properly here.”
“I can see that. You have ruined your dress and apron.”
Maddie looked down and seen that she had ripped and tore most of her dress, and her apron was nothing more than a string tied around her waist now. She couldn’t help but smile at the sight of herself. Her mother was going to be furious but Maddie was sure she would understand. “This was my only dress, my mother is going to be livid I’m afraid.”
“I can buy you a new one.”
“Oh, I cannot allow you to do such a thing. I will manage.”
“I insist, after all you have done, it is the least I can do to repay you.”
“I am not looking for a reward or recognition. I am doing this because it is only right.”
Maddie ripped Luke’s pant leg as to get a better look at the wound. It was on the upper half of the thigh and it was bleeding badly. She had not realized that he had lost a good deal of blood just lying on the cabin floor. She found the last clean edge of her dress at the bottom and tore it off all the way around. It needed to be long enough to wrap around a few times and still tie. She wrapped his leg and stood.
“I have done all I can do here. I am going to fetch some help. I have no more wood for the fire but I should be back not to long after it burns out. Are you comfortable enough?”
“We will be fine. Thank you for your help.”
“I will see you soon then.” With that Maddie made her way to the door. Before she opened it to leave she turned back around and said, “Luke, thank you for being there with Elliot when he passed. Thank you for listening to him and saying a prayer with him. At least I know he did not die alone and that gives me some peace. I will always be grateful for you and your kindness.”
“No need to thank me. Just be careful. There may still be men lurking about in these woods and it is dangerous for you to be out there alone.”
“I am well aware of the dangers and I will be. Try to get some rest while I am gone.” And with that she left.
 


© [Desirae DeVon Bennett] and [Entertaining Thoughts and Ideas], [2013-2014]. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to [Desirae DeVon Bennett] and [Entertaining Thoughts and Ideas] with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment